Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Northview 30 days: Wait

I think there's a reason I stayed on the Northview e-mail list when I moved. This 30 Days of Prayer initiative has been sending me very timely and encouraging e-mails every morning...and I've needed them. I'm re-producing another one here, but it will be the last; sign up here if you want to see the rest.



REFLECT

Wait?! What do you mean by wait? I have things to do, places to go and commitments to meet. Being productive is not only is required of me, it is how I have been trained since I first started getting an education. I hate long lines, traffic jams, inconveniences and other things that slow me down and get in the way of me getting my things done.

And, for heaven’s sake, why did Jesus after His resurrection tell the disciples to go to Jerusalem and “wait” for the promised Holy Spirit? The key disciples were all right there; He had their attention. Why didn’t He cut loose with the “tongues of fire” right then? Let’s get this over with and get the show on the road. Times a-wasting.

Some things take time. Stop it with these platitudes! I don’t have time. I am not going to wait. If someone else won’t step up to the plate, I’m just going to have to take the bull by the horns and get the job done. If I want something done right, I have to do it myself. Time waits for no one.

I, I, I. Who is in control, as depicted in the thoughts above? “I” is. (Excuse the bad grammar.) But who is really in control? Who holds time in His hand as a servant? Who started the clock, and who will draw time to an end? The great I AM.

PRAY

Lord, may I see things your way and be willing to come to You on your terms. May I be willing to wait for your timing, your order. May I delight in your purposes and in your plans. May I believe and hold on to what You have said and do things your way, for your ways are perfect. Amen.

READ

LAMENTATIONS 3:21-26 Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, ‘The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.’ The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.

No comments: