Sunday, October 18, 2009

Thanks, Columbus!

Today I finished the Columbus Marathon in 3:43:13, a personal best in my third (and probably last) marathon.

I was originally going to run Chicago last weekend, but it filled up before I got around to registering. Now I'm glad it did, because I was really impressed with how well Columbus was organized.

There were a bunch of aid/water stations, and the volunteers were amazing--cheering and encouraging everyone. The organizers printed runners' first names on the bib above the number, and it made a big difference; it's always cool to hear perfect strangers cheer you on by name!

At the finish, there was a lot of great food (and FREE MASSAGES...see earlier post), and I had two volunteers come up to me out of the blue to offer to help--one was making sure I was OK and lead me to the massage table and one let me into the finish area (where I took this picture) to cheer and wait for my friends to finish. It was really impressive how they could be so servant-oriented with 15,000 people in need.

Thanks again, Columbus, for enabling me to end my marathon career on a high note.

No comments: