Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cape Carteret Vacation, Day 2

Day 2 was a day of exercise.  I was still sore from the marathon, so I wanted to walk around and see some of the goings on at the beach.  We drove down to the Emerald Isle beach and took a walk out on the peer.



The 'spot' were running.  No being a fisherman, I didn't know exactly what this means, but I found out later that spot are little bluegill-like fish that school in the thousands.  They run the gauntlet between the ICW and the ocean at certain times of year, and the fisherman line up boat after boat to pull them from the water as fast as they can put their lines in.  It was fun to go up to a random person and ask, "Are the spot runnin'?" and have a conversation like I know what I'm talking about, though!


While we were there, we saw someone catch this black drum...at least that's what they said it was.


From the lookout station above the end of the peer...




The water was so clear and still you could see amazingly deep.  I think this is a skate, but we weren't sure.


I've never been a fisherman, but I admire the determination.  It was fun to be around when something was on someone's line; everyone seemed to get excited and root for one another.  I guess I wasn't expecting it, but it was cool to see.

No comments: