Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Tender Moment

I just witnessed a man negotiate getting food at the street festval with his wife, a woman who seemed to be suffering from some sort of dementia. From the way he patiently negotiated the crowd and kept his arm around her, it was clear she was dependent on him, easily relying on him for direction.

It was clear that she was a bit lost in the commotion of the crowd. I was concerned for her when he stepped away for a moment to ask a question of one of the food vendors. When he returned, the relief and comfort of having him near was clear from the embrace they shared.

I can't remember when I've witnessed such a tender exchange. Maybe I'm making an assumption, but I think I got a glimpse of what their lives together have been in better times.

May we all experience such events in our lives...

No comments: