Sunday, July 26, 2009

Shrewd Little Saleswoman

As I exited Krogers yesterday, I saw a lemonade stand just to my right on the way out.  Since I have a Life Principle that states "Never bypass a lemonade/bake-sale stand without buying something; it encourages the seller and is often quite tasty.", I took a few minutes to check it out.

A group of about 4 girls (forgive me, but I think they were in the 8-10 yr range...I'm not good with approximating kids' ages) were selling lemonade to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation (JDF).  My dad used to go to great lengths to support the JDF fundraisers at his former workplace, so I always recognize the fundraisers and have a soft spot for them.  The lemonade was only a quarter, so I thought it a small price to encourage the girls, given they've given up their morning to do such an others-centered thing. (BTW, it wasn't until later that I began to think about the whole sickly-sweet lemonade/diabetes irony, so if you're already there, kudos...) 

When I gave the young cashier my dollar, she asked, "Do you want any change?"

With one question she basically put me in the position to choose between my measily 75 cents and the eventual cure for childhood diabetes!  Of course I said no.

Either (a) she was coached to always ask that by some adult, (b) she had so many people say "keep the change" that she began to ask, or (c) she's naturally got the makings of a successful sales/fundraising career. 

Brilliant.

No comments: