Thursday, June 25, 2009

Book Review: "The Know-It-All"



While I was reviewing A. J. Jacobs' most-recent book, I became aware that his previous book had been about a project to read the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica. So when I found a used hardback copy in Von's a few weeks ago, I jumped at the chance to read it. (Take that Amazon: $9 in hardback, even cheaper than the Kindle version)

Jacobs approaches his task of reading the entire encyclopaedia as a way to measure himself against his successful attorney father. Feeling that his pop-culture jobs as writer/editor at Entertainment Weekly and Esquire had diluted his Brown education, he decides to complete a task his father never finished--all forty-four million words. Along the way he shares humorous stories of becoming a Mensa member and attending a conference, competing in a crossword puzzle tournament, and auditioning and appearing on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire". As he journeys through the alphabet, Jacobs makes connections and highlights the commonalities all cultures and times share, as well as pointing out some very shocking (and often humorous) differences. We see the facts from his reading connect in often unusual ways to his daily life and watch Jacobs struggle with reconciling, remembering, and digesting his growing body of knowledge. Sometimes he does so successfully...and sometimes...well...

As with his last book, I really appreciate Jacobs' transparency, and I can identify with his foibles, social awkwardness, and borderline obsessive-compulsive behavior. After reading two of his books, I feel I know him, and I'm inspired by his willingness to immerse himself in his work--to let the process of discovery change him, rather than just writing to make a buck.

I highly recommend the book (the short chapters/sections make it the perfect bathroom book)--it's informative, funny, and touching.

No comments: