Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My 34th Year Begins...


As my friend Barrett pointed out in one of his entries a few months ago, I like to set a theme for each year on my birthday. I find this is more personal and motivating than a New Year's Resolution. My rule is that it must be specific and measurable, and it must be something that I can continue past the year. The idea is to spend a year focused on developing a new character trait/lifestyle item, then benefit from it the rest of my life.

I started this on my 30th Birthday (for Year 31), so the complete list so far is as follows:
Year 31: Lose weight & exercise. I weighed over 200 lbs when I turned 30, but by my 31st birthday I was down to 153. I'm still running and dancing to stay in shape, and I just finished my first marathon.
Year 32: Become a Reader. I've always admired people who find time to read, so this was my attempt to become someone who recognized that there were a lot of smart people out there writing their thoughts down, and I could benefit from hearing them.
Year 33: Learn to manage unending projects. I tend to get overwhelmed when faced with lots of these little things you always want to do but can't seem to get around to it or can't finish them in a few hours/days. This year has been about developing a lifestyle and attitude that allows me to document, prioritize, and slowly work through these things.

So this brings me to Year 34. In many ways this has been a defining year for me; I've experienced a new level of peace and self-acceptance in my spiritual journey, completed my first marathon, and begun to make the most out of my friendships by getting past surface-y conversations so I can really know, understand, and relate to my friends on a new level. I've considered many options for personal growth, but after weighing them all, I've decided....

Year 34: Become a person who faces each day head-on. I tend get busy with projects late in the evening, stay up late, get to bed after midnight, and wake up late for work. Typically this puts me on my heels and makes me feel like I've backed into the day. Many people I respect and have patterned my life after are early-risers that get up before everyone else, have time to center themselves on what is important to them, and enter the day in a positive state-of-mind.

Wish me luck....

No comments: